Original Air Date: June 11, 2012
The hosts of Black, White & Gay in America – The Human Side Lori and Bob Hollander, licensed therapists, and Pastor Larry Brumfield talked about how opinions are changing about same-sex marriage across the country and in Maryland.
The show’s major discussion points were:
A CNN/ORC International survey released…
- The number of Americans who have a close friend or family member who is gay has jumped from 49% in 2010 to 60% today.
- According to the survey, 54% now say that marriages between gay and lesbian couples should be recognized as valid by law, with 42% opposed.
In religious organizations…
More than 300 Mormon church members who are not gay marched in the Utah Gay Pride Parade in downtown Salt Lake City. The largest group of Mormons ever joined the annual parade Sunday to send a message of love to Utah’s LGBT community.
The Rabbinical Assembly’s Committee on Jewish Law and Standards, which sets policy for the Conservative movement, has voted unanimously 13-0 to provide guidelines on performing same-sex marriages.
The move is an official sanction of the ceremonies by the movement.
Though the MARYLAND MARRIAGE ALLIANCE turned in enough petition signatures to get the new MD law (protecting Civil Marriage between same-sex couples) on the ballot, we reported that their effort was funded primarily by National Organization for Marriage – an out of state group that is on the Southern Poverty Law Centers list of “hate groups.”
- National Org for Marriage contributed $73000
- MD Marriage Alliance contributed $36000
- MD Catholic Conference contributed $4300